FUN FACTS ABOUT ACCOUNTANTS
Do you think of accountants as serious, grey suit-wearing, pen pushing, number crunchers? A bit dull and boring? Think again! Here at Your Tax Shop in Tameside we are a bunch of smart, funny interesting people, who are passionate about making your money work for you.
In spirit of this we have put together some fun facts about accountants and the profession we bet you don’t already know!
- Bubble-gum was invented by an accountant, Walter Diemar in 1928. It was bright pink in colour because that was the only dye he had at the time.
- Bookkeeper and the words derived from it (bookkeeping etc.) are the only words in the English language with 3 consecutive sets of double letters.
- Mick Jagger, Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin and comedian Eddie Izzard are just a few of the famous names who worked in accounting before their celebrity careers took off.
- Matthew the Evangelist is the patron saint of accountants, as well as bookkeepers, tax collectors, bookkeepers, stockbrokers and bankers.
- Accounting has been around for millennia. Tokens dating back 7000 years were discovered in ancient Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq, Turkey and Syria). These are thought to be the earliest documented records of goods received and traded.
- Accountants have played a significant role in the Oscars every year since 1935.A team of accountants spend an average of 1700 hours prior to Oscar night counting the Academy Award ballots by hand.
- Italian mathematician Luca Pacioli is regarded as the father of accounting. He published the first book on double entry accounting in 1494. Leonardo da Vinci was one of his students.
- The word “accounting” comes from the French “compter” meaning to count or score. Other accounting terms are derived from Latin, such as “debit” – “he owes” and “credit” – “he trusts”.
Here at Your Tax Shop in Mossley and Ashton under Lyne we do things differently!
Please call one of our team in Tameside for any accountancy help.
Speak to one of our friendly tax advisors at one of our offices in Tameside:
Ashton office – 0161 339 5689
Mossley office – 01457 837744